Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Beautiful Friday Night



Like always it was just another working Friday at the office, meddling with things above my reach. I decided to go house hunting with a friend because the place I was staying in was getting crampy. Since we were fickle minded kind we couldn’t make up our minds as to where to go and since friends were going out, we got invited more over we both needed a bad break… with all that was going on, but we weren’t dressed for the occasion.. had a client visit that day and since we both didn’t have formal wear and was allergic to it we got ourselves to office in churidhars.. going out on a Friday in those, we felt like aunties walking around… oiled hair, with a bindhi in a churidhar, oh ye Aunties!! There wasn’t enough time to go get ourselves in decent clothes and then get back.. and it started raining cats and dogs.. this added to our misery going out for dinner to some fancy place inappropriately dressed and drenched now. This was as good as it was getting, getting into an auto which was leaking like hell.. and getting splashed by a car passing by was the heights of disaster as it would get.

Then I stared outside at the rain which was falling down, big drops splashing it against the freshly tarred roads. Breaking into hundreds of little drops of water, reassembling the fireworks in the skies just that it was colorless unlike the fire works… droplets of water were being splashed, more like drops of life being multiplied into smaller drops of life, they looked marvelous that night .. even though the streets of Bangalore were real dirty and slushy.. guess there is a silver lining in every clumsy situation… Staring into the beauty of those water droplets.. I forgot that I was drenched going to some fancy place… It’s strange come to think of it, when you replace your thoughts of the situation you are in with simple things of life and their beauty you forget where you are.. and just enjoy what’s on your way.

Reaching our destination all drenched, we stepped out into a puddle from the rick and found our way to this fancy place. A couple of friends joined us there, all 3 of them strangers to me, and mostly they didn’t speak what I did.. Had to blink when they spoke as though they were speaking Martian, actually I didn’t make a difference. But they were kind enough to translate. It was fun being there speaking random stuff.. chewing on something… not even waiting to tasting it because of hunger. Laughed till our stomachs were full… and by then the rain had subsided into a drizzle with no umbrellas we just stepped into the cold and as usual Bangalore rickshaw wallas.. wanted real big money… all four of us cramped ourselves into the rick and left for home…..

As we were about to reach our destination, one of them had a crazy idea to walk in the rain, and that was seconded and thirded by me and the other.. one of them had their brains in place and was, no we are taking the auto till our places, but since majority wins.. all of us were out in the rain walking through the luscious green streets of a residential area… with the drizzles in full swing…. Just walking, randomly in the rain, we were still hungry… as if we were starving the whole day.. thankfully we had parceled some food to eat when we reached back home… since we obviously out of our heads and wanted to do something really dumb.. we sat on the foot step of some random house.. no clue about who owned it.. we had no clue .. by then the drizzle had got a little stronger .. opened our parcels and started eating it .. right in the rain, right there from each others plate to be exact.. we were laughing our lives away in the rain thankfully there was no dogs in that house and neither a guard to chase us off.. we had our fun there….
And then we realized we had to wash our hands…. Not that we really had to, after all it was raining and me being the innovative one, started shaking the branches of this little tree so with the force of the water coming I could get the rice of my fingers… but then my friend was brainy enough to just wipe on the leaves of the tree.. and now being extra energized … we started walking again through some random streets with lovely house with over grown trees overshadowed us.. and then we wanted to imitate people ..then the act started with Mr. Dev Anand and people I don’t remember names of … and it was fun, laughing out in the rain.

It felt like that stroll in the rain got imprinted in my brain, felt so care free, so happy and I didn’t have to worry, and for that hour I just enjoyed the drops of water falling on me, enjoyed the company, trying to imitate Martian, laughing to randomly spoken words…
And my mind wandered in a split second.. it was not only to enjoy the drops of water falling on the ground.. bursting into hundreds of tiny droplets.. but also to enjoy the way they fell on you, how it felt, the cool wave that it brought on you… Sometimes we are so concerned about falling and breaking we forget to see the beauty in the way it was formed and how it falls through the atmosphere on to us.. onto everything in this world .. and even that is beautiful. There are always two sides of a coin 

And we reached our destination… it felt so bad to get dry and get back home.. Never have enjoyed the rain so much and hope there will be more rains to enjoy…reluctantly back to the warmth of your own place.. Stood there watching the rest of the folks just walking into the wet street.. getting to enjoy the rain a little more than we did, with the ever faithful dogs of Bangalore street running behind them for food…

All of a sudden I felt warmth as though I never was wet, found myself wrapped in my blanket.. with the usual surroundings around me, the walls the ceiling fans… everything was the same.. and I woke up perplexed in the middle of night wondering what happened.. my lovely walk in the rain, my Martian speaking.. where did it all disappear too…
By the looks on my face, she told me sweet heart your home, and I looked as though this wasn’t where I was, is this it… and I realized I had just woken from a dream..
It was just a dream and nothing more, but a dream I relished on .. the dream I learned to enjoy the bursting drops of water and the falling drops of water..
My very own dream, which I would cherish and remember forever as though it were real

2 comments:

  1. Vala,

    This is great madam ...... You kept it as suspense till the very end........ Till the last paragraph I envied on your luck, to be drenched totally in Bangalore rains. When I read about the details you wrote, literally I was drenching beneath the office roof.

    "My very own dream, which I would cherish and remember forever as though it were real" - Make them true , as long as I think, it is possible. Once I reach Kerala, that would be my first preferance.

    In my school days, I used to cycle around 5-10 kms in a rainy day. I loved to cycle on a rainy day. In my college days , it had become 20 - 30 kms in motorcycle. I enjoyed walking through the streets and playing with the flowing water.

    You know, hell with the electronics which made us hard to do it now. We need to look our mobile , camera , laptop, ipod and all sort of electronic items b4 getting into the rain. Earlier it was hardly 10Rs ... Go to a shop , get change Rs into coins. Done ...... Go into the rain ......... Let me see when I would do this again.

    Once again ... great that you make me happy with memories and make me sad with present situation at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss those days back at home with only 10 bucks and few changes... it was fun then no worries.. would just enjoy the rain.. :)

    ReplyDelete